Monday, May 09, 2005

Stuck in a time warp

On Thursdays and Saturdays I sit at the same coffee shop to write but I end up people watching instead. I have already carved out a place for myself sitting at the bar that over looks a pedestrian mall, which is really good for said activity. Usually I am wearing my ipod and it makes me giggle to watch businessmen walk to the beat to Peaches or some other mismatched pairing. What baffles me most in my people watching is how many people are stuck in a time warp. I live in a pretty metropolitan area; we have access to television and fashion magazines so I am not sure why the ‘80’s are alive and well here. Over the course of the three or so weeks that I have attempted being a writer again I have witnessed the following:


  • Women who mold their bangs ‘80’s style. You know what I am talking about. The feathering, the ratting, the side blow outs that look like they have fins growing out of their heads if you see them from the back.

  • Mullets of all shapes and sizes with varying curliness on people of all ages and genders.

  • Rat tails of all lengths

  • Zubaz (see badfads )

  • I actually smelled an older women wearing exclamation perfume. I haven’t smelled it since 5th grade so it took a while to place.

  • Frosted jeans



Why are people still dressing like this? The ‘80’s were 25 years ago. There is no reason why you and your grandson need too have matching mullets. If anyone has any idea why this is still happening in our inner cities please feel free to comment.

Although, it makes me wonder what was so great about their past that they have to hang onto that time period still. Maybe they can bottle that up and sell it to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home