Monday, June 20, 2005

Be careful what you ask

The other day MSN posed a question that lead into an article..

Have the Black Eyed Peas sold out?

My answer is yes, most definately they did.

I used to really like the Black Eyes Peas. Things have really changed with the addition of Fergie . I am not a woman in hip hop hater, but she really put this pop angle on them that I don't really care for all that much. (Did you know she was in Kids Incorporated?) She is cute and can belt out a chorus as good as the next person but now their lyrics lack a lot of the substance that they used to. My evidence is "LETS GET RETARDED"??!!!

My Hip Hop has to move me, give me a history lesson, provide socio-political commentary, be lyrically clever (Rhyming the same words together drives me crazy), give props to those who came before and have very limited radio play. (i am such a snob sometimes)

BEP you are no longer the group I fell in love with. You are completely different and I don't know you anymore. I think it is over between us, things will never be how they were. It saddens me, but I know what is best.

If you are a fan still I just want to say that they put on a very energetic show.

2 Comments:

At 2:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And then one day, listening to the dial, I heard "it started" instead of "retarded". Sellout? Political correctness? There's your socio-political commentary right there, unforch. And not one single person in the media said one single thing about it! Well, that I ever heard.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Scholar said...

I feel the same way about BEP, Ms. Lemon. Elephunk was more commercially viable than their previous releases, but in my estimation, it really sucked. I just heard not long ago that they are helping Corey Clark (Paula Abdul's infamous accuser) with his album. That's pretty much bottom of the barrel (artistically speaking, anyway). Thanks a trillion for checking by my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home