Wednesday, June 08, 2005

a question for the ages

My co-worker, who I eat lunch with every day, really likes pop music. So we listen to the pop stations to and from work. It is not my type of music but sometimes it is fun to car dance to. (You know what I’m talking about.) We usually are in the car during the “Back in the Day Buffet” on B 96, which plays a mixture of Hip Hop and Pop classics from the ‘80’s and ‘90’s. We usually sit and reminisce over songs that we used to like in high school and get nostalgic for days when we used to rush home from school to watch “Yo! MTV Raps.” Mostly it just makes me laugh. (Dizzy Gillespe plays the sax??)

This leads me to my question that has been plaguing me for a week or so. Do any of you remember the band Color Me Badd? They had this song called “I Wanna Sex You Up”. It was quite controversial when I was in school because it had the word sex in it. (That tells you how old I am) There are two versions of the song and the version that I heard on the “Back in the Day Buffet” was the version that leads me to a series of questions that have been troubling me.

Here are the lyrics:

Girl you make me feel real good,
We can do it till we both wake up
Girl you know im hooked on you
and this is what i'll do,

WE CAN DO IT TILL WE BOTH WAKE UP???!!!!

The song is basically all about this guy(s) who want to shag with this girl. Did they suddenly turn g rated and decide they want to just sit and dream together? Have any of the group members ever had sex before? I don’t think they have because it isn’t something you achieve during REM sleep. Is the whole song about a wet dream maybe?

No wonder they were a one hit wonder band. Hey are they on that reality show?

1 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, man, those lyrics have always bothered me too. They're just stupid. If you're going to take the time to write a song, PLEASE give us a better effort than that. Sheesh.

The other version--the one that was used in "New Jack City"--is much, much better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home