Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Friedman was right

About a month ago a co-worker of mine, (not the pop music lover, she is now in LA) and I went to lunch to escape our office. When I got to the counter to pay, the man behind the counter asked what my name was. I thought it strange so I asked…

“Why?”

“Because I would like to buy your lunch today?”
“Why?”
“Because I am the manager and I can”
“Thank you. You don’t have to.”
“I wanted to.”

And with that he was gone.

It is not strange for me to get free stuff.

My co-worker and I sit at a table at the farthest side of the restaurant because situations like this make me uncomfortable.

“Oooh, he likes you.” My co-worker teases. “He didn’t offer me a free lunch.”

I forgot to mention that she screamed “Where is my free lunch?” after he had disappeared.

“Maybe he does, but I know what this means.” I reply. “Now this means that I am going to have money trouble.”

“You are being silly.”

A week later……

I am running out the door late, as usual to a friend’s birthday party. I grab my digital camera from the top of my dresser and unknowingly the camera strap is stuck in the top right hand drawer.

WHACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

It swings like a pendulum rattling back and forth. I turn it on to see that the LCD screen is for lack of a better word “burnt out” and although it is not in little pieces it looks like broken glass.

A pure accident, not intended damage. I love my camera I would never ever break it on purpose.

But try telling that to Best Buy who talked me into buying this stupid four year warranty which does not cover this. I told my friend about it and she said that she never buys these warranties and says that people should just throw that money in the garbage because inevitably the thing that breaks is the one thing that it doesn’t cover.

Best Buy recommends that I call Sony. I call Sony the issue with my camera is not covered even though I bought the camera two months to the day of when I made the call. So, they tell me that if I want it fixed I need to send it to Connecticut and for them just to look at it would cost $171. (If you don’t remember I live in Minnesota and this is the closest repair center???!!!??)

I HAVE ALREADY SPENT $350 WHEN I BOUGHT THE CAMERA TWO MONTHS AGO, WHY THE FUCK WOULD I WANT TO PAY YOU $171 JUST TO LOOK AT IT. YOU ALL FUCKING SUCK DO YOU KNOW THAT?!!!!

About a month ago…..

At our normal staff meeting we find out that the nonprofit I work for is $40-$140K short of our expected incoming funds and basically if no other funds comes in we will run out of money in 2 and a half months.

Basically what this means in a Minnesotan passive way is that in 2 months we will run completely out of money and in all intents and purposes we are bankrupt. Although I would love to point fingers, you have no idea who I would be talking about and it wouldn’t make any sense to you.

This week is the first week where my hours are cut. Not that I needed to make less money than I already do.

Here is my dilemma, in an I Heart Huckabees type of way I feel that my streak of bad luck is definitely a result of that manager buying me lunch. Do I go over there and buy him lunch to even out the Karma and reverse this before anything else happens? Or is it all in my head?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home